To submit your application, you should:
1/ Click on the “Participate” button
2/ Answer the questions marked with an asterisk
3/ Submit your entry form within the entry period, from April 29 to June 21, 2019
4/ Click the “Submit” button to submit your entry
5/ Check the box confirming that you agree to challenge rules and conditions
The selection process is focused on determining the best strategic fit between the applicant company's solution and the innovation challenges of the company, represented by the corporate jury member, in order to enable the most successful collaboration in the future. More specifically (this list is not comprehensive, please refer to the challenge rules):
- Applicants must be legally incorporated in Canada, reside in Canada and, for natural persons, have reached the age of majority according to their province of residence, as of the Contest start date;
- The proposed solution must be a technologically innovative solution that responds concretely to issues faced by large companies from one of the following industry sectors:
- They must be able to offer a concrete technological answer to the challenges of the industrial sectors (Energy and natural Resources, food and agriculture or advanced Manufacturing)
- The company is either about to, or has raised, Series A financing. Alternatively, the firm has raised a total of over $2M of financing (including debt) from VC and non-VC sources.
- The proposed solution must be a B2B or B2B2C model with significant business potential for large companies and capacity for wide distribution in Canada.
The application portal will be open from April 29 to June 21, 2019. Applications must be received by 23:59 p.m. Eastern Time on June 21, 2019. In fairness to all applicants, late and or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Participation to C.L.I.C. Challenge is free. However, the 6 companies that will reach the final stage of selection will cover their own transportation and accommodation costs to attend the 3rd and final round (pitch sessions) of selection in Toronto on October 24th.
Your application will be retained and analyzed by Alter’Inno and BDC. You may indicate that certain documents that are part of your application are confidential by marking them “CONFIDENTIAL.” If application is selected by the selection committee, the documents marked “CONFIDENTIAL” will only be shared with others if you give your consent
Individual meetings or calls with applicants are not possible. The submission on our platform is the only way to make sure that all applications are properly being reviewed by the selection committee. Alter'Inno would contact you to clarify some aspects of your submission only if you are selectable for the final stages of the competition.
Shortly after submitting your project on line, you will receive an email notification confirming your application.
The evaluation process consists of three steps:
1st round: After the application closing date, Alter’Inno and BDC Capital will conduct the first round of application evaluations. Based on a scoring system indicated in the challenge rules, this team will select 10 semi-finalist start-ups for the 2nd round
2nd round: Alter'Inno and BDC will determine the most appropriate match between the 10 semi-finalists start-ups and the 10 jury members. Each member of the jury will contact the start-up that she/he will mentor throughout the competition final stages. Each member of the jury will then present the solution / product to his/her executive pairs, members of the jury C.L.I.C. This presentation will take place on October 11, 2019 in Toronto. The 10 semi-finalists start-ups will not be present at this meeting. On October 11, the jury will select the 6 start-ups that will be presenting their solution / product on October 24 in Toronto.
3rd round: The 6 start-ups will be asked to present their product/solution during 20 minutes: 10 minutes of presentation + 10 minutes of questions / answers in front of the jury C.L.I.C. These presentations will take place in Toronto (Ontario) on October 24, 2019.
At the end of this October 24th session, 3 start-up companies will be selected as winners of the C.L.I.C. Challenge.
At every stage of the Contest, candidates’ applications will be evaluated based on, but not limited to, the following criteria:
- The innovative and unique nature of the solution.
- The relevance of the Solution to large companies in the sectors identified above.
- The candidate’s mastery of the solution.
- The industry expertise (whether technical, target market related, or other) shown by the candidate through the solution.
- The demonstrable significance of the solution’s market opportunity, namely market size, positioning of the solution and timing.
- The broader strategy framing the solution.
- The possibility to scale up the solution.
- During the selection of Finalists and Winners, the quality of the management team supporting the solution (i.e. the team’s experience and complementarity) will be an additional criterion.
Please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reply to you as soon as possible.